- 01-Oct-2016 to 30-May-2017 (PST)
- San Diego, CA, USA
- Full Time
Nth Generation seeks a Junior IT Technician interested in reviewing complex hardware and software configurations, specifications and quotations for technical accuracy and completeness. This position is a fantastic technical "foot in the door" of a technically advanced, vendor-neutral IT advisory firm.
Ideal candidates will be comfortable working directly with Enterprise Account Managers, Technical Solutions Architects and Systems Engineers; have a serious interest in enterprise technology services and solutions; have career aspirations to grow into a client-facing technical advisor.
This position requires attention to detail, demonstrated technical skills, a problem solving nature and the ability to be part of a technical and sales team who offer world class customer service to our clients. Daily activities will include reviewing complex technical specifications and quotations for hardware and software solutions to ensure the accuracy and completeness of all configurations, while maintaining an SLA (Service Level Agreement). Responsibilities also include assisting with estimating the time and labor required to deliver, as well as ensuring quotes are delivered to our clients in a timely manner.
The Junior IT Technician must possess a strong understanding of the following disciplines:
- Installation of Industry Standard Servers
- Installation of Storage Arrays
- Installation of Enterprise Storage and Backup Solutions
- Server and Storage Virtualization & Consolidation
- Disaster Recovery Implementation
- Information Lifecycle Management Implementation
- Database and Data Migration
The Role of the Junior IT Technician is extremely detail oriented and requires strong oral and written communication skills. This is an hourly, non-exempt, position.
This position reports to the Manager of Services Solutions and Customer Advocate, who will be the primary supervisor. This position will also take direction from members of management, as appropriate, and will collaborate with relevant Solution Architects, Engineers and/or Project Managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES, include, but not limited to, the following:
- Reviews complex technical specifications and quotations for hardware and software to insure the accuracy of all configurations, and helps estimate the time and labor needed to deliver the required/requested services.
- Performs tech-edits, troubleshooting, configuration reviews, and related research, including whiteboard reviews, bid requirements and vendor quotes, reviewing and ensuring that vendor configurations match quotations.
- Recommends and documents changes based on best practices for any given technology.
- Edits or revises configurations as requested by the Solution Architect.
- Develops or maintains templates of hardware, software and service configurations.
- Reviews bid/proposal documentation to insure quotes meet defined requirements.
- Provides management with up-to-date documentation of work completed and issues.
- Proactively provides feedback, relating to hardware and software products or client issues, to relevant staff members. Knowledge sharing is critical to the team being able to provide the best value-add for our clients.
- Keeps accurate and timely timekeeping records of all work related to Nth customers, including Project IDs, where appropriate.
- Carries mobile phone and email device. During business hours, makes best effort to always respond to calls and e-mails from the office. On occasion, may be contacted outside of business hours, as applicable.
- Flexible with demands on time and able to deal with frequent and last minute scheduling changes.
- Possesses a "strong work ethic" with the ability to flex and extend efforts whenever a customer engagement or sales opportunity requires it.
- Able to work during Nth Generation's core hours of operation, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Must regularly be onsite at the Nth corporate offices during core hours of operation.
- Flexible to come in early and/or stay late, if there are last minute requirements to perform tasks.
- As business and operational demands dictate, additional duties may be assigned and expected to be performed.
- Attend a minimum of 40 hours of technical or product training, per year. Training may be acquired locally, remotely, or virtually.
- Attend ongoing training to keep current knowledge base on products we support.
- Maintain current certifications, achieves new certifications and keep up-to-date on certifications for new products or services, as directed by Management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an otherwise qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Education and / or Experience
- Fundamental understanding of Windows Server, VMware vSphere, Storage Area Networks, IP Networking, and Data Protection;
- 1-2 years of relevant technical experience with Server Virtualization, Consolidation, Storage Virtualization and Backup, knowledge in Multiple OS, Storage, and Enterprise Backup Solutions (EBS), certifications.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Able to exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with clients.
- Ability to learn and retain knowledge of a wide variety of technical information requests, and responds quickly to information requests.
- Highly developed communications skills for interacting with team members effectively. Can independently handle difficult situations.
- Ability to maintain a courteous, professional manner at all times and work well under stress.
- Ability to interface internally with all departments and externally with outside sales, clients, and partners.
- Ability to work effectively under remote supervision.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to apply information from data collection tools and create graphs and charts in Excel for Client presentations and reports.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Maintain or update all currently held technical certifications
- Acquire new technical certifications, as directed by Management
- Driver's Licens
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an otherwise qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Position requires manual dexterity to perform word processing and computer-related tasks. Able to see, hear and talk. Able to lift 50lbs regularly. Able to drive an automobile.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an otherwise qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Nth Corporate Culture
- Has a positive "can do" attitude with clients and co-workers. Takes ownership of problems and thinks outside of the box, to find creative solutions, quickly resolve problems and help clients maintain a consistently high degree of uptime.
- Works quickly and efficiently to solve problems.
- Does not take unnecessary risks when performing tasks. Always operates in a professional and courteous manner. Always strives to be a model citizen and truly believes in the motto "The Customer is Always Right!"
- Always goes the extra mile to get the job done completely. Does not cut corners or put off documentation or paperwork and understands that teamwork and sharing knowledge is essential to both the company's and one's own personal success. Cheerfully assists others when asked, even if outside of the job description.
- Collaborates well with other employees and client staff. Speaks up when necessary to make sure that proper procedures are followed by all workers and ethical business practices are adhered to at all times.
- Projects a positive, friendly attitude, and does not complain to clients, vendors, partners and co-workers. Contributes to the morale of those around and does not put oneself or another's physical safety in jeopardy.
Nth Generation Computing, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.